Sunday, February 14, 2021

Tutorial 02

 This week’s Unity tutorials were especially fun to mess around with. For the first part of the tutorial I had to decorate my own world for the game with additional assets of our choice. I was slightly confused by this since I recall last week needing to copy down a particular background when learning about tile maps.  I even checked  a few of the other blogs to see if I was on the right track, but it turns out we have full creative freedom for this part!

So, below you’ll find a progress of my game world so far. I say ‘progress’ because I’m quite fickle and will likely change things around quite a bit.  I wanted to include the steampunk factory mansion but due to the way I designed the tiles for the background, there’s no ‘space’ for it without the top of the mansion sticking out of the scene. I could have it floating on water but that would look pretty strange. I will definitely alter background before the next tutorial.


The first part of the tutorial showed how to change the drawing order of how Unity renders game objects using its y-axis. We were also introduced to adding and modifying Prefabs which I was familiar with from last semester. (You can tell I had fun with editing prefabs from the excessive red)

The second part of the tutorial was focused on Unity’s physics system and using the Ruby controller script from last week to have her collide with other game objects. Similar to what we’ve previously done, we added a 2D rigidbody component to our game objects. I noticed how detail orientated you need to be when designing for a 2D environment and how the interactions with different game objects occur to make sure the game-play feels smooth. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Doing

  We are nearing the end of this semester and the book we’ve been working throughout the semester is in its final editing stages. This week,...