Friday, October 2, 2020

Task06: Opening up to Growth Mindset

 


I've never really put much thought on the kind of mindset I have when it came to encountering challenging tasks wherever they'd pop  up - whether it's a school assignment or a specific goal that had to be met at work. When I try to think about the way I'd approach a difficult task or any task really - I'd view it as something that just had to be done. I'm usually caught in this 'doing' cycle as the work piles on that I never really stop to consider or appreciate doing the work. So, it was quite refreshing and an eye-opener for me when I was introduced to Carol Dweck and her work on Growth Mindset.


Found this cool cartoon on Laura Gibbs' blog
Found this cool cartoon on Laura Gibb's blog post Growth Mindset & Feedback Cats


Currently, I see my self in a Fixed mindset. The reason behind this being that I tend to take quite long doing a task because sometimes I have high expectations for myself (this could also relate to a fear of making mistakes). However, this tends to backfire as there are deadlines to be met and suddenly the work doesn't turn out to be that great (or enjoyable for that matter). Now that I've become more aware about these two mindsets I would be very open to learn more about them and learn about myself in the process. My goals for this semester is to get a good grip on time management. I know I have a good vision for a task; it's just about being strategic on how tackle them without  succumbing into negative and stressful mindset. The top three modules that I'm currently looking forward to are:  Visual Design, Multimedia Development and Website Design. I hope to implement the growth mindset into each module this semester and if things begin  start to get out of control, I'd return to the Growth Mindset videos and articles as refresher.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Doing

  We are nearing the end of this semester and the book we’ve been working throughout the semester is in its final editing stages. This week,...