Saturday, February 6, 2021

Unity Tutorial 01

 

Welcome back in 2021. Carrying on in semester 2, I feel more comfortable with Unity. When it came to choosing a route for the Unity tutorials, I decided to go with 2D game development. Looking back, although the video tutorials for the 3D game were nice and simple to follow; I did find the scripting part difficult especially when it came to making a game of my own.   Therefore, I felt that reinforcing what I've learned last year was the way to go. 

Setting up the Unity editor was a bit confusing. The tutorial didn't appear to be compatible with the 2018 version installed, so I went ahead and installed the 2020.1 which was recommended. The interface is somewhat different, so it took me a while to get used to it. The only downside to the 2020 version is that it currently does not provide long term support. Keeping my fingers crossed that nothing unfortunate happens down the road!😜🤞

As I worked through the  tutorials for this week, I noticed a contrast in their layout. The main difference being that there were no videos that accompanied the instructions similar to last semester. In their place, there were more detailed explanations of the Unity editor and what parts of the script meant which gave me a clearer understanding than I had last semester. Looking back, it seems quite silly but I only now understand the difference between Vector3 and Vector2. Vector is data type that stores numbers. Vector2 only stores two numbers and you can guess how many Vector3 holds. Since we're working on a 2D game we will only need the x and y axis positions which is why we will be using Vector2.

I was also introduced to working with tilemaps which are used to decorate the game world and various backgrounds. What I liked about using tilemaps is that you can create a set of tiles to use from a single tile sprite. For instance, the following 3x3 grid is split into 9 different cells of the same image. This is time efficient and saves a lot of effort when creating art for your game from scratch. Also, I found you can get pretty creative when combining various pieces.

Image source: Ruby's Adventure: 2D Beginner - Unity tutorial

The following is a screenshot of my final painted scene. It's not centered to the cameras position in the game view. Hopefully I'll be able to fix that later on!

Screenshot of my progress with Unity tutorials




No comments:

Post a Comment

Doing

  We are nearing the end of this semester and the book we’ve been working throughout the semester is in its final editing stages. This week,...