Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Review Week Comments and Feedback

 

Overall, the comments I have received so far by other students are pretty good. I can understand, in certain instances when it comes to giving feedback it can be a bit of a difficult situation as you may not have too much feedback to give or you may not want to seem rude when giving constructive feedback. So, sometimes it can be easier to say nicer things. And I guess that’s okay. Everyone does it. Even I do it sometimes.

 Comments and feedback can be tricky because in some ways it’s different in writing than it is verbally. Sometimes it’s harder to articulate certain things in writing than it is in person because they may not sound the same or the way you intended it. It can be a tricky process.

Having looked back at some of the feedback from my project posts, there were some good comments that were thought provoking and got me thinking about my game and its possibilities. (I kinda wish I had the guts to look at those sooner!) Feedback on the project are very useful especially when it comes to understanding the viewpoints of everyone reading about your game and seeing if they way you explained your game is in a way the easy for others to understand the gist behind it. If you look at it that way, you could treat your classmates as your target audience as they are nearly the only people who will read about the game. So, really any feedback is pretty golden and helped me with changing certain aspects like the scenery or considering game setting.



Blogger icon (source)                                                        comment icon (source)

As I have previously mentioned, when it came to giving feedback to others I did initially focus more on the ‘Wow’ factor in their project feedback. However, after being introduced to the ’ wow, wonder, what if’ and ‘tell’, ‘ask’ and ‘give’ strategies it has helped me structure my feedback  accordingly and be able to provide constructive feedback while being considerate of others. The sample questions that came along with the strategies also provided some perspective of what to look for in someone’s post and notice if something was amiss. This in turn made it that bit easier to write feedback. So I’m glad I was introduced to the strategies.

I also found some useful tips here and there when it came to looking at how other wrote their blog. For instance, I didn’t really use too much of bullet points when it came to working on the reading tasks. However there were cases where they seemed more appropriate to convey ideas in a straightforward and linear fashion which made things easier to understand.


There is sense of getting to know other people when writing blog comments. In some ways you still get to learn about a person by the way they write and introduce themselves. Although, there may not necessarily be conversation taking place as that would depend if the author wants to or has time to go through the comments or not. However, given the situation of remote learning, it is a good way to interact with others.

Personally, I’m not one for introductions. Especially when it comes to publishing a post about myself. So after publishing it, I made a mental note to try and forget about it until I couldn’t  XD. But as I mentioned before with the whole situation, it is important to put yourself out there a bit and give others an opportunity to get to know you in some way.

Looking forward, I want to be able to read the comments more regularly than I have done so far. Spending one evening each week to look through them and maybe post a few replies would be beneficial especially in relation to project feedback.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Doing

  We are nearing the end of this semester and the book we’ve been working throughout the semester is in its final editing stages. This week,...